Building a deck is an excellent home improvement project that can add real value to your Boston, Ma property. If you’re looking into Boston Deck Pros for the construction of your deck, there are several key factors to consider before getting started. Here’s what Boston Deck Pros has to say about them:
1) Planning Your Project
Before you even start building a deck, it’s essential to have a blueprint of your project. It will help the contractors understand what you are looking for in terms of design and functionality, which is especially important if this isn’t your first deck build or renovation project.
A good plan should include:
- Your exact location on the property
- The size, shape and height of the deck
- Your desired features and amenities
- How you plan to use the deck (i.e. for dining, relaxing, entertaining, etc.)
Once your Boston Deck Pros have this information, they can provide you with an accurate quote and timeline for the project.
2) Choosing the Right Materials
The type of materials you choose for your deck will have a big impact on its overall look and lifespan. Boston Deck Pros recommends choosing treated lumber or composite materials, which will both stand up to weathering and last longer than other options.
When selecting your material, be sure to consider:
- The climate where you live
- How often you plan to use the deck
- Any safety concerns (i.e. will kids be playing on it?) Boston Deck Pros has worked with many materials over the years, so they can offer expert advice about what’s best for your Boston property and needs.
Choosing a material like composite or cedarwood will give you greater customization options compared to other materials.
3) Planning for Electrical Wiring
If you want to include electrical wiring in your deck design, Boston Deck Pros recommends planning for it during the initial construction phase. This will ensure that everything is done correctly and safely from the start, rather than trying to add it later on.
In general, Boston Deck Pros suggests having at least one outlet and one light on your deck. You may also want to consider adding a ceiling fan for those hot summer days.
There are a few things you need to keep in mind when planning for electrical wiring in your Boston deck:
- The National Electrical Code (NEC) requires that all outdoor electrical wiring be done by a licensed electrician.
- The wiring must be weatherproof and installed in a way that prevents it from being damaged by moisture.
Boston Deck Pros can help you with all of your electrical needs, so don’t hesitate to ask for their advice. Give our team of locally licensed deck contractors a call to ensure that your deck comes out the way you want.